500 g fresh herring fillets with skin, cut off the fins
200 ml breadcrumbs
200 ml rye flour
150 g butter
2 red onions, sliced
For the pickle marinade
1 litre water
300 ml acidic vinegar (24%)
500 ml caster sugar
1 tbsp whole allspice
1 tbsp salt
10 bay leaves
10 whole black pepper
- Put the fillets together two and two with the skin side out.
- Mix breadcrumbs and rye flour. Roll the fillets in the mixture.
- Fry the fish on each side in butter until golden brown. Salt to taste.
- Place the fried herring in a bowl. Put the onion on top.
- Combine all the ingredients for the pickle marinade in a pot. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the marinade over the herring and onion and cover with cling film or a lid. Let it sit in the fridge for one week before eating.